By Erin Kenny,Elizabeth Nichols
Taking the concept that of good looks heavily, this encyclopedia examines how humanity has sought and keeps to hunt what's "beautiful" in quite a few cultural contexts, giving readers an figuring out of ways to examine attractiveness either intellectually and critically.
• offers an interdisciplinary method of global attractiveness practices, from the earliest experiments in cosmetic surgery in six hundred B.C. to modern practices
• supplies readers a consultant review of good looks practices round the globe
• files how from cosmetics to garments, workout to physique amendment, being attractive is a target worldwide
• Identifies various authoritative assets of data for extra learn and reading
Read Online or Download Beauty around the World: A Cultural Encyclopedia PDF
Similar customs & traditions books
Arguing with Anthropology is a clean and utterly unique consultant to key parts in anthropology, which teaches the power to imagine, write and argue severely. utilizing the vintage 'question of the present' as a master-issue for dialogue, and drawing on a wealthy number of Pacific and worldwide ethnography, it presents a distinct path in tools, goals, wisdom, and figuring out.
Product info no longer available.
We are living in a global populated not only through participants yet via figures, these larger-than-life those who indirectly convey and problem our traditional understandings of social forms. This cutting edge and collaborative paintings takes up the wide variety of figures that populate the social and cultural imaginaries of latest Southeast Asia—some time-honored merely in particular locations, others recognizable around the area or even globally.
Chi sono i serial killer e perché l. a. nostra immaginazione è così colpita da queste terribili determine? Perché ci fanno paura, certo. Ma anche, e soprattutto, perché sono l. a. personificazione di quanto c'è ancora di irrazionale, di ferino, di primordiale in noi e nella nostra vita apparentemente logica e ordinata.
- The Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Reader
- Events Project Management
- The Birth of Cool: Style Narratives of the African Diaspora (Materializing Culture)
- The Rise of Tea Culture in China: The Invention of the Individual (Asia/Pacific/Perspectives)
Extra info for Beauty around the World: A Cultural Encyclopedia
Beauty around the World: A Cultural Encyclopedia by Erin Kenny,Elizabeth Nichols